Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dedicated to my sweet, Christian, mother...Eliza.


In light of Mother's Day having just passed, I wanted to dedicate this entry to my sweet mother and friend, Eliza 'Sunshine and Shotgun' Williams.

My mother is a unique creature. If you meet her once, you will be convinced that she is a saint - as she will offer you the clothes off of her back, the food off of her plate, the money out of her wallet, and give you a scripture to carry you on your way. However, those of us who know her well understand that in that same Christian vessel lies someone who could pull a shotgun out on you if you push her then fix you a nice warm dinner afterwards simply because its the "right thing to do."

She doesn't know how to participate in many things without fully committing and that is clearly where my job bearing genes did NOT come from. My mother is the most focused, fierce, and fly woman that I know and sometimes...it just gets on my nerves.

Every morning at 6:45 am she calls and says "rise and shine, give God the glory" and tries feverishly to convince me to love the devil known as my boss just because God is too good to give any life to negativity.

(Sidenote: I try to remind her that she was cussing about her boss four short years ago but she assures me that in retirementt, the Lord has revealed to her that cussing is not the answer.)

Back to Eliza...

My mother retired at the age of 55 with full benefits, a paid off house, and no bills outside of what she wants to spend weekly when she goes to the Sam's Club with my father.

She pursued two master's degrees while working full time and raising 3 kids.

Best of all...every meal, every day, included either a candy yam, greens, or black eye peas when I was growing up.

I swear I don't know where my mother gets her drive and determination. Maybe that mighty field slave blood is still pulsing through those veins - while I'm only filled with the blood from an emancipated negro.

In all, my mother is one bad mother...shut yo' mouth, and I can only hope to one day be the woman, mother, and wife that she has always shown me to be.

Love you mommy,

Your Ooopps! Child

1 comment:

  1. awwwww! TOO sweet! your mom is going to LOVE this when she reads it. best mother's day gift ever.

    ReplyDelete