Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Why I really started this blog...


The truth is, I didn't EXACTLY start this blog for my baby. It was really for Alicia Keys!

Don't get me wrong, I had always planned on documenting my journey privately, but it was a nationwide contest to be the head blogger for a new website called, "I AM A SUPER WOMAN.COM" that led my sister to convince me to try to apply.

As I read the details of the contest rules I knew that I would be perfect for the head blogger position. Somehow, it felt like the universe was really coming together to answer my prayers and I just knew that this job would be mine!

Though I didn't TECHNICALLY have a blog up and running, I knew that I had enough random writings to develop two websites - one political and one personal - which would surely let the judges know that I was funny, smart, and sassy.

Over the course of 4 weeks I began to build my baby blog and by May 3rd at 5:30 pm I was ready to submit my resume and blog for consideration.

My cover letter was ready.
My resume was ready.
And my blog sample was ready.

I prayed one time for favor and went to press "SEND".

The message, "ERROR -- PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER", popped up on the screen.

I tried again three more times and to my horror the following message popped up on the computer.

"THIS JOB IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE."

I was crushed. Kind of.

The fact is that I waited until the last day to apply. Not only did I wait until the last day, but I waited until the last day AFTER I got home from work to apply. Subconsciously I recognized that I psyched myself out before I even applied and by waiting until the last minute, I could more fully except it if I didn't get the job.

Nevertheless, I search the internet until i found three publicists who worked for AK worldwide and sent my package to them just to make myself feel better. While I obviously didn't get the job, I am glad that I started this blog and I am choosing to believe that everything happens for a reason and that no effort is ever wasted because the intention will always perfect the action. (Thanks for that inspiration Angela R!)

The Cover Letter (That Wasn't)...


Title:
Yes, this is the last day to enter…but YOU SHOULD REALLY PICK ME!

By:

Kirstin Williams Smith
(Wife, Mother-to-be, Friend, Sister, Politico, Comedian, Fashionista, etc.)

May 3, 2010

Dear Sir or Madaam:

Before you dismiss this email because it was submitted on the last day of the open call, please reconsider because simply put, I was scared. How does one submit a resume to Alicia Keys for their dream job? A job, mind you, that isn’t what you went to school for, have a vast amount of experience in, nor have a plentiful portfolio to represent you. But a job, nonetheless, that you know is meant for you?
The truth is that it isn’t easy to go after our dreams because oftentimes we can defeat ourselves before we even try. Nevertheless, for better or worse, here I am taking a giant leap of faith.

So who IS this chick that is rambling on you might ask?

My resume would tell you that I am a pretty smart cookie with an educational background from two of the best schools in the country. While this is true and I am proud of what I have experienced and accomplished, like so many women, there is much more to me than meets the eye.

The fact is that I am a wife, a mother-to-be, a sister, and friend. I am a pseudo-comedian, a quasi-politico, and a very bootleg sports fan (as I only follow my city’s sports team when they are winning).

I have experienced heartbreak, the pain of losing a best friend to malaria, and the worry of almost losing a father on two occasions.

So who am I you ask? I am a superwoman.

I am a superwoman because I embody the joy, happiness, struggles, and tribulations that so many other women live every single moment of every single day.

I ask for consideration of this job not because I am different but precisely because I recognize that I am no different than any other woman who refuses to settle for anything less than pure happiness. The woman to represent your organization and website should be able to speak across class, race, faith, and economic lines and I know that I can do just that.

So again, forgive me for submitting this at the final hour because I suffered from a little bit of hesitation and doubt. That merely makes me a fallible human and the truth is that most women can relate to that too.

With Love, Peace, and Hope.

4 comments:

  1. I beg of you to continue this blog, even though you didn't get the job you created it for. This is by far the most entertaining read I've had in a while. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SUPERWOMAN! I love it! I am and will continue to be a dedicated reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! that was GREAT!!!! like reading the cover letter bought tears to my eyes for some reason. yes i think you should continue this and what is meant to come of it- will be! let go and let God girl!
    and hey....where'd you see the a. keys posting? i'd try to submit via alternative methods....but everything hapens according to God's plan...so maybe he didn't want you with that man stealer right now lol (love you A. keys- unthinkable is the ish)!

    ReplyDelete