Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Monday, May 10, 2010

...On Pickles

It all started one day at Morry's deli in Hyde Park when I ordered a fabulous turkey and swiss cheese sandwich [toasted, with onions, hot peppers, and mustard on marble rye bread].

As I walked to meet the little Italian guy at the end of the counter, I nervously went over what I was going to say next in my mind because I had become accustomed to the looks of pity and sympathy that I had began to receive when I ordered food.

"Okay ma'am...I got 'ay hot turkey sandwich...With onions! With Hot peppers! With Onions! And With Mustard! Can I get you anything else?"

"Yes sir. Can I have a peach Snapple, a bag of salt and sour chips, a lemon loaf, and 4 extra pickles please."

He stared at me in silence.

"Okay...... I got a Snapple, a bag of chips, a cake, and... a total of five pickles coming up," he said as he held in his laugh.

I looked down in shame.

Soon I made it to my car and drove to a spot near the lake and got excited thinking about the great meal that awaited me.

I slowly ate my turkey sandwich, slowly savoring every bite. Next I ate my chips and hot peppers (separately, one by one), and finally I drank my peach iced tea until it was all gone. (My lemon loaf would be saved for later on that night.)

Then...finally, it was just me and my five pickles alone in the car.

Up until this point in my pregnancy...I hadn't really gotten pickle cravings at all. In fact I hated sour stuff. But suddenly while standing at that deli counter - my body not only wanted pickles, but EVERY pickle that was in a 5 mile radius.

Like I suspected...those 5 pickles were pure ecstasy! In fact...those pickles made me feel like a crackhead trying crack for the first time. I couldn't explain it then and even now...2 weeks later...as I sit hear typing and eating pickles I still can't figure out why pickles taste like manna from Heaven. But I've decided that I am not going to resist the natural urge that has plagued pregnant women since the beginning of time -- maybe babies need pickles to help their hearts or toes develop? I really don't know...but I'm certainly just gonna roll with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment