Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Saturday, May 22, 2010

The first step is admitting that you have a problem... (My low sodium diet)

Pat and I were on our way from Chicago to Detroit for a line sister's wedding when I first noticed it. As I was getting out of the car for a restroom break, I wondered why my new shoes were squeezing my feet. When I looked down, I was mortified to see that my feet were bursting out of my flats like two Grands Biscuits. Immediately, I knew what was going on but I turned to my bff, Google, to confirm my suspicion.

I typed, "Feet swelling. Pregnancy. Traveling." and held my breath to see what Google had to say about the matter.

Seconds later, articles about pre-emclamsia, high-blood pressure, high sodium diets popped up on my screen.

Shhhhhhheeeettt!! I thought as I began to read the articles. It wasn't looking good. The fact is, with a family history of women with pre-eclampsia and high blood pressure, I knew that I had a proclivity to having some issues during pregnancy...but I guess I thought I was immune. I've always been in pretty good shape so I figured I could get away with a few months of indulgence without any issues.

But suddenly, as I looked down at the two chocolate biscuits that were previously called my feet, I realized that I needed to change my ways immediately.

As soon as I got home, I turned to Dr. Quinn/Medicinewoman (aka My Mom)for advice...

"...well you know I had pre-eclamsia with your oldest sister," she began.

"...So this just means that you have to be proactive and diligent about keeping your salt intake down Kirstin. Starting today, you really are going to have to put yourself on a low sodium diet. Talk to your doctor, but you need to cut out the salt."

She had no idea of what she was requesting of me....1) My husband is from the South and doesn't know how to cook without spices and 2) My daddy is from Mississippi. Spices are apart of my DNA...they are as apart of me as my leg or arm.

But knowing that my mother and my OBY/GYN (who later confirmed my mother's recommendations)weren't wrong, I began to ATTEMPT to change my diet...one meal at a time.

But my first week wasn't successful, despite my da**est efforts.

Day #1: In effort to turn over a new leaf, I went to an organic cafe for lunch. "Oh, the chicken pesto wrap sounds fresh and healthy!" I thought. When the wrap come out, it was one chicken tender, 1 pound of mozzarella cheese, with grilled onions and bell peppers with organic pesto sauce....on the side and french fries.

Day #2: I came home ready to make a magical grilled chicken salad for dinner. I even stopped to pick up some cranberries, walnuts, tomato, and cucumbers. My dreams were obliterated when I walked in to the smell of barbecue chicken that Pat had decided to cook. (Yes, I scraped the plate...)

Needless to say to say, my low-sodium diet was off to an horrible start but I was determined to get it right.

Day #3: Due to the devil's temptation, I ate biscuits, turkey sausage, and grits that morning...but I ate a grilled chicken salad for dinner.

Day #4: Pineapples and strawberries for breakfast. Salad for lunch. Salad for dinner. (Yay - finally...success!)

Day #5: Two english muffins, grits, pineapples, and lots of orange juice for breakfast. Honey Nut Cheerios for lunch. Two slices of pizza and two hot wings for dinner. (DRATS!)

It was a sketchy start but slowly and surely I am turning my diet around. Now I am eating fruit throughout the day and sticking with salads for lunch (although I still have my setbacks).

With determination in my heart and water retention in my feet, I know I will conquer my dependence on salt once and for all! My next appointment in on June 7th, so I will find out then whether my blood pressure is getting out of control. Until then, I will continue taking it one meal at a time...but if you see me on the street about to eat anything with grilled onions, bell peppers, or cheese... please be a friend and intervene!

No comments:

Post a Comment